Jennifer L. Lavin is the Principal Attorney of Jennifer L. Lavin, P.C. and focuses her practice exclusively on divorce and family law matters, including divorce, child support, allocation of parental responsibilities and parenting time (formerly known as custody), maintenance (formerly known as alimony), property division, post-decree litigation, paternity, same-sex marriage, legal separation, Orders of Protection, and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. Ms. Lavin is admitted to the Bar in Illinois and has represented clients located in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, and Will counties.
Before forming Jennifer L. Lavin, P.C., Ms. Lavin gained significant Chicago-area family law experience as an associate attorney at Mandel, Lipton, Roseborough, and Sharma, Ltd.; as an attorney at Lisa A. Copland, P.C.; and Of Counsel to Blair | Caravelli | Irmen | Enright Law, LLC.
Ms. Lavin received her undergraduate degree from the College of Saint Benedict with a major in Government and a minor in English. Prior to law school, Ms. Lavin was a college professor of political science and gender studies and earned her Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Chicago. She earned her J.D. from the Chicago-Kent College of Law, where she gained extensive family law training as a research assistant to family law Professor Katharine Baker, as an intern in the Family Law Clinic under the supervision of family law Professor Rhonda DeFreitas, as an Advocate in the Circuit Court of Cook County Domestic Violence Court, and as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Raul Vega in the Circuit Court of Cook County Domestic Relations Division. Ms. Lavin also received valuable trial advocacy training as a member of the award-winning Chicago-Kent College of Law Trial Advocacy Team.
Ms. Lavin and her husband reside in downtown Chicago. In her time away from the office, she enjoys spending time with her stepsons, cooking, and exercise.
Professional Memberships :
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Fellow, Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois
- Professional Women’s Club of Chicago
Legal Honors and Awards :
- The National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, Inc. Top Ten Ranking: 2017, 2018, 2019
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Distinguished Service Award, 2019
- American Academy of Attorneys Top 40 Under 40 in Family Law: 2018, 2019
- American Institute of Legal Advocates Family Law Rising Star: 2019
- Super Lawyers Illinois Rising Star: 2017, 2018, 2019
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 10 Best Family Law Attorneys, Illinois: 2017, 2018, 2019
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 10 Best Family Law Firms, Illinois: 2018, 2019
- CALI Awards of Excellence in Intensive Trial Advocacy I, Legal Writing IV, and Mediation: 2011
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Dean’s Honor List: Fall 2010, Spring 2011
Legal Service :
- Child Representative, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services